Saturday, January 14, 2012

Wondering

I’ve been thinking about what I need to know before I begin my quilt.  I have made a list of questions to ask my friend when I call.  Here is the list:
1.      What is the best way to cut the shapes?
2.      Have you heard of or used an AccuQuilt?
3.      Is it worth purchasing?
4.      What is the best batting to use?
5.      How about backing?  Is there a best choice?
6.      What tips do you have before I begin piecing the shapes?
7.      What do I do once I have the top pieced, the batting in between the top and backing?
8.      Do I quilt from the inside to the outer edges?
9.      How do I get the large, bulky thing in my machine?
10.   Do you have any preventative tips that will keep me from really messing up?
With the list in hand, I am going to call her tomorrow afternoon after church.
"The important thing is to never stop questioning." - Albert Einstein "The real objective of education is to have a man in the condition of continually asking questions." - Bishop Creighton When I think about the kind of questions I ask as an adult, compared to the questions asked by children, I see that my questions tend to be about what interests me or about something I need to know about work. Children ask to understand basic needs. They develop more sophisticated questions as they themselves mature. "As children, our research focuses on understanding and manipulating our environment, usually aided by toys and parents and later by friends and teachers. As adults, our research needs diverge to unique interests - often related to our occupation, but also covering our family concerns and leisure activities" (Anderson and Kanuka 2003, 2). According to The Blue Book, questioning is the first of the five elements in information inquiry. The others are exploration, assimilation, inference and reflection. According to Dr. Lamb, Wondering is the questioning aspect in her model that I am following in the inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment