Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wiggling some more!

Last night I excitedly opened the package to the first quilt square. The instructions were very easy to follow.  I put the 1/4" press foot on my sewing machine as my friend told me to do.  I pinned the pieces together and very carefully made sure they were 1/4" seams.

An interesting thing I found was that there are different ways to press the seams in quilting. You can press them open, or press them to either side.  The instructions illustrate which way you are to press each one.  I'm not sure what makes the difference.  I have always pressed seams open, but for now I will follow the directions and look up "how to press seams for quilting" later.

This is the first quilt piece.  The 3 middle strips are pressed toward the center strip.  Maybe because it is darker?  Anyone have any ideas?  After pressing, I pinned and sewed the 2 brown triangles. They are to be pressed toward the brown triangle.  See the little bit of fabric that is left hanging over the 3 strips block?  Those are dog ears; you cut them off.  (The instructions told me this).  Otherwise I would have had a pucker at all four corners when I sewed on the other two brown triangles.
Here it is with the four brown triangles and the first two gold triangles.  The seams are also pressed toward the triangles. The dog ears are again trimmed off.  (Sounds like I know what I'm doing doesnt it?) Next add the final two triangles and press!
Here is the finished first quilt square!  I continued and completed three more yesterday evening.  They are below.  Tonight I hope to do a few more.


 The hardest was the pinwheel, getting the points to line up were tricky.
I need to find out the mystery of Pressing!




4 comments:

  1. You're doing a great job. What would people like Carol Kuhlthau and other library professionals think of your process? You can go back and make comments on your own postings if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you look at Carol Kuhlthau's Information Search Process, I follow her observations to a T. She suggests that research should be approached in a way that allows the student or researcher to "visualize the possibilities" and includes the attitudes and emotions associated with the experience. Excitement goes a long way in the educational process. She also talks about the "dip in confidence" that is a natural part of inquiry. Well, there was a dip in confidence, but a little more research led to the precut quilt pieces, which led to a plan that was confidence-building. The task appeared do-able at this point, not overwhelming. Once the plan was in place, Formulating a Focus, was complete and I could move to the Collecting Information stage with confidence.

      Delete
  2. Look at all the progress you have made is such a short amount of time! I have always envisioned quilting as this mammoth time consuming project that takes months to complete, but obviously it is possible to create a beautiful, useful piece of art in a reasonable length of time. Carol Gordon (2012) writes that, "...constructivist learning and information-seeking theory points to the need for the practitioner to create learning tasks that relate to the real world and offer opportunities for critical thinking, problem solving and meaningful learning." Your inquiry definitely fits within these perimeters. I think it is wonderful when students can learn a new skill that has significance in their real lives. They gain so much more from the activity and learning process when it is applicable and meaningful. You are learning so many skills and acquiring information that can transfer to other areas of your life. And when you complete this inquiry you will also have a functional item of which you can be proud. How do we create these same meaningful opportunities for students with limited budgets, time and resources?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the quotation! I am having a great time with this project, primarily it was a dream I had to create a quilt and Annette's great assignment left it so open to exploration that it worked! I've been thinking about how to use this in the classroom. So far, I have a few ideas for elementary and middle school, but not high school yet.
    Here are a few ideas.
    1. Alphabet - Using an old sheet, cut it into squares. With fabric markers or fabric crayons, assign each child a letter and let them draw on a fabric square, the letter and something to represent that letter. Each child can use his/her own creativity to decorate the square. Either the teacher or helpful parent sews the patches together into a quilt, or a wall hanging. It wouldn't necessarily have to be quilted, just pieced together. With older students allow them to design the square with something they are interested in. Once it is pieced together, a discussion could be lead about how it takes all of them to make the class, each with his/her own likes and interests. From there you could do a unit of study on quilting in the United States. A saw many web sites about American quilting and also the use of quilts to direct slaves to the underground railroad. More I think about it as I type, the more I think this could also be a high school activity. I think I like it! Thank you for getting me thinking and may I use your quote in my final paper?

    ReplyDelete