Friday, January 20, 2012

Webbing Continues

I still haven't decided on what design to make for my quilt.  I browsed through the quilting books at the library and settled on two.  There are hundreds!

1. Learning to Quilt the Traditional Way by Annlee Landman. I chose this book because it was full color with lots of illustrations.

2. New Ideas for Lap Quilting by Georgia Bonesteel.  This one is also full color, but I chose it because I wanted to read about lap quilting. In addition this lady is a teacher, and I quote from her introduction, "As a teacher, I'm aware that quilting guidelines and standards have long been established, but I also know that new ideas in quilting abound."  Hey, I thought, she's a life-long learner and willing to explore new ideas.  So I'm toting her book home too.

My plan is to decide what I am doing and get fabric this weekend.  We are expecting an ice storm and I thought beginning my quilt would be a good thing to do if I was stuck at home.

My friend sent me an email with a photograph of a quilting machinine made by Gammell. I am attaching it.

She also sent me this email about the AccuQuilt:

Want to have some fun? Go to this website and see a list of 82 bloggers who have GOs and see what they are doing with them!! They will give you all sorts of ideas! Eleanor http://sewcalgal.blogspot.com/p/bloggers-with-accuquilt-products.html



5 comments:

  1. There was a great article in the Indianapolis Star today, Homemaking-hip-again?

    http://www.indystar.com/article/20120122/LIVING/201220308/Homemaking-hip-again?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|s

    My mom is 95 years old and still quilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of myself as hip!!!
      Thanks! Cathy

      Delete
  2. Sewing is such an amazing art and talent. I love going into Joann Fabrics and seeing all of the beautiful choices. The fabrics make me want to sew but I have absolutely no idea how to do any type of sewing work. My mother-in-law is an avid seamstress and goes to a sewing group each week with ladies from her church. They sew lap quilts for the area nursing homes. If you decide that lap quilting could become a new hobby I think there are many ways you could use it to help others. My mother-in-law has multiple sclerosis and sewing has really helped to maintain her dexterity. Hmm...there's another inquiry, How can sewing or crafting help the physical and mental functionality of those with disabilities? Any way! I can't wait to see how this progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JoAnn Fabrics is my favorite store! I went there is weekend and decided on my project. I have heard that working with your hands on projects is a great help for disabilities. My daughter is studying to be a physical therapist. She is working with people with Parkingson's disease. They are using boxing to help them, particularly men. It appears that it helps with their depression along with motor control. Thanks for the comment. I will talk about my project in a post! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gurtband Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete