Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wiggling


Ok, I did it. I have a plan for the quilt.  You are probably going to think I am cheating, but oh well.  I don't want to get discouraged by lack of time, having to spend so much time cutting out the pieces, and I want to get started sewing.  So I bought precut quilt pieces. 

Here is my reasoning.  I really don't know what I want to do with this.  I may hate quilting once I get started.  There are so many patterns and ideas and colors to choose from.  I don't know enough about how to put the different patterns together that it would take me forever and I am afraid I would end up quitting.

While I was at JoAnn Fabrics, looking at fabrics, I went to the clearance area. (My very favorite aisle).  There was on the clearance shelf a complete set of the Quilt of the Month pattern for fall.  I started looking through them and decided this is what I need to do first!  Make a quilt with directions to follow.  (I hate directions).  These Quilt of the Month ideas are pretty cool.  There are 12 different patterns (duh) and directions for completing each design.  When I am finished, I will know how to design twelve different patterns.  It's cheaper than buying a book, because it comes with the fabrics too.  I don't have to think about what looks good together.  I simply learn by doing!  What a concept.  I should be a teacher!  Oh, wait, that's what I am!  So I was putting myself through all this stress, when the answer was right before me.  So I bought the set.  Regularly 7.99 a design, they were on clearance for 3.19, quite a deal right?  But wait!  There's more!  I had a coupon for 20% of my entire purchase.  Boy was I happy and couldn't wait to get home and get started. 
Here is a photo of what it's supposed to look like when I am finished.  

I find that I am happy with my decision on how to proceed. The stress is gone because there is a plan in place that is "do-able" for me. Is this a type of inference? I did the research and found what making the quilt would involve and considered my personal characteristics and made a decision. According to "The Blue Book", inference involves "the actions or processes for deriving a conclusion from facts and premises. Inference may involve personal choice and actions taken based on conclusions that seem most relevant and meaningful for the situation" (p. 7).

According to Carol Kuhlthau students go through a number of different feelings as they proceed through the stages including uncertainty, optimism, confusion, frustration, doubt, clarity, sense of direction, confidence, relief, and satisfaction or dissatisfaction. Their thoughts go from ambiguity to specificity and their interest increases. Their actions move from seeking relevant information to seeking pertinent information.

As I analyze my thought processes and my decision to use the precut pieces with instructions, her statements ring true.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! A quilt for $3.19!? You should feel guilty :) Just kidding. That sounds like a very cool idea, I might actually quilt if the time consuming decisions are already made for me. That way you can enjoy the actual process instead of trying to decide how to make a design or match colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it was 3.19 for one square, so I have $60 in it for materials so far. But I don't have to cut them, don't have to decide colors, and have an end in sight with directions! I will keep the instructions in a notebook for reference later when I am braver and pick my own fabrics and colors. I am finding that I do enjoy the process, as you say, and believe after this is complete, I will feel more free to invest in rotary cutter, mats, etc. to do more of my own thing! I think part of inquiry is how you feel about what you are doing. There would be no sense in investing in equipment that I would use only one time to complete a project. The process of research first, prevented me from getting in too deep before knowing how I felt about it! I guess that is one step that is important about being a life-long learner, it can prevent mistakes!

    ReplyDelete