Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Webbing Again


I did a little research on how to press the seams.  I found an article online by Janet Wickell, "How to Press Quilt Blocks."  She spoke about the importance of pressing the seams as you go. 

"Your piecing accuracy will improve immediately when you take a bit of time to press your quilt blocks as you make them. Pressing is an extra step, but you'// love the payoff in time saved when your quilt blocks fit together just like they should.

http://quilting.about.com/od/pressingtechniques/ss/press_blocks.htm

I did find that if I pressed each seam by blocks came out more square and the points were more exact.

But my real question was how do you determine which way to press, open or to the side.

I found another web site that says " ...most quilters today press seams to one side."  They tested it and "found that blocks with seams pressed to one side are usually a little smaller than those with seams pressed open.  Hand-sewn blocks need the security of a seam pressed to one side, but machine sewers should determine what works best for them." 

This comes from Ask Jinny at 

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/jinnys-corner/ask-jinny/answer.cfm?questionID=466EE625-B054-177E-6D5ABFE737BAF506

I guess it answers my question.  So I will follow directions!

Dr. Lamb has stressed that "information inquiry is not linear!" This proves her point. I have gone back again and again to gain more information. I see the process in a bunch of curly little circles that goes back to wondering and webbing many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment