Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Wiggle, Wiggle, Wiggle!

Over the past few days, I was able to complete the last of the quilt blocks that will make up the quilt.  I made some changes to one block, I guess this is where prior knowledge comes into play.  The center block was supposed to be a floral design, but since this was going to be on my son's bed, I thought better change that!  I knew how to applique, having done it many times before.  I drew a pattern with a log cabin, pine trees and a bear and appliqued them to the center square.  I used the fabric that was supposed to be flowers, so everything still matched.


This step reminded me of some of my students who take the directions I give them, use them to create something different.  I used to think I should mark off for not following directions, but as I thought about it, I decided I didn't want to create little robots that simply followed instructions to a T.  Where is the creativity and imagination in that?  So a student can create a computer program that I step-by-step helped him do.  The student that took that program and developed his own project, that still followed my directions, was adding more to the learning experience.  I began rewarding these ideas and asking what else could be done with the new information.  This time the teacher learned from the student.  

I hope if the designer of the instructions for this quilt project would feel the same!

The final pieces are not squares, but pieced strips that will bind the pieces together.


The next step will be to put the pieces together, but I also want to do some research on how I am going to actually quilt the pieced top to the batting and backing.  Time for another phone call to my friend.


2 comments:

  1. I love your appliqued center square! Way to make the quilt your own creation! You shared an interesting reflection about students taking a creative license to their projects. As teachers, we frequently think that we have all of the answers and know the "right" way to do things. It is true, though, that sometimes when students do what is right for them, they end up with creative results that can be just as good or better than our ideas. That is what I like about the idea of free inquiry. It gives students an opportunity to ask their own questions, find their own resources, and create a final product that is their own creation. It allows us to celebrity our diverse interests and talents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Business-Higher Education Forum says, "Individualization provides learners with access to instructional materials matched to their learning needs and styles." Although it requires more effort for teachers to develop and grade open-ended inquiry assignments the benefits abound. Students learn how to be creative, problem solve and think! I like your observation and acceptance of doing what you can to allow students some freedom with assignments. Not everything can be individualized, but the more opportunities we give students to take our guidelines and push through them the more life-long learners will be born.

    ReplyDelete