Saturday, February 11, 2012

Weaving . . . in a bind! :)

I guess you could say that I am in a bind! I am using the pieces that were cut off because I made the quilt too wide for the binding. There are several ways to finish a quilt, but taking the advice of the experts, I folded 1-2" wide long strips in half, pressed the strips and sewed them to the quilt. Next, pin the folded edge over on the quilt and hand sew the binding. They told me I could machine stitch it if I wanted, but most professional quilters hand stitch. Well, I want to be a professional so I hand stitched it. Which was relaxing because I could watch TV at the same time. (I have not watched TV in several years). A little bit of Webbing here . . .

I had to make a quick email to my friend. I didn't know how to do the corners. I found the professional way was to fold the very tip of the corner in and fold the sides in and over it. It gives it a mitered look, like a picture frame.

This is the content from our email:

Regarding the binding...I think you are telling me that you have sufficient fabric on the top to turn under and stitch it down. Some people like the looks of that; however, that is not what most quilters do.

I prefer cutting 2 1/4 inch strips (WOF=width of fabric) sufficient to go around the quilt. Join the strips using a 45 degree angle so that the bulk of the seam is not all in one place. After joining the strips fold the one long strip in half length-wise and iron it. Place the raw edges along the raw edges of the quilt and stitch 1/4 inch seam. Turn the binding to the back (this will be the folded edge) and hand stitch in place using a blind stitch about 1/8 to 1/4 inch apart.

How do you handle the corners, you say?? Well, you miter them. Look up on the internet mitering corners of binding. About.com or other sites should have tutorials on how to do this. In this case, pictures are worth a thousand words. I could demonstrate much better than I can tell how to do it.

Some people attach the raw edge to the back side of the quilt and bring the folded edge up to the front and machine sew it down. In my book, that is hard to do and have it look nice.

I have never looked deeply into getting a top-quilting machine. I have heard that the width of work space is a major concern (I think that this would be very important.) Some of the cheaper machines only allow 8 inches wide quilting space across the quilt. I fear that would limit you too-o-o much. the other thing to consider....how wide of a quilt can one comfortably quilt. If you think you will only be making full-size bed quilts...okay, the smaller machine might work. However, most people have queen or king size beds anymore. Therefore, I am thinking don't limit yourself too much!

Hopefully, this epistle has answered your questions. If not, send me more questions. Eleanor

My email:

Good morning!I took my quilt to the quilter lady and now I can't wait to get it back. I saw her machine, it is huge. It takes up her entire familyroom. I have a question for you. When I get it back, what is the best way to bind it? There is enough all the way around to use it and turn it under and stitch it. But I'm not sure if that is the correct or the best way to bind it. I don't want to mess it up at this point! Also, I read that lady's blog about her less expensive machine. What do you think? She sems to like to okay for just doing her own quilting. Hope you are both well! Thanks for your help, Cathy

Thank you! You have answered my questions! and yes, I don't want to be "stuck" making only smaller quilts. I think I will wait and see what I like to do. It's probably too early in my endeavors to jump at purchasing something anyway. thanks again and have a great weekend! Cathy

Image of the folded fabric for the binding.
Image of the binding attached to the quilt.
Image of the attached binding pinned in place for hand-stitching.
Documenting step-by-step progress would be a good way to keep students on track and also to encourage them when they make a mistake. The teacher can say, yes, you made a mistake, but look at what you have done so far. The classroom should be a place where students, both adults and children aren't afraid to make a mistake. “Learning happens fastest when the novices trust the setting so much they aren’t afraid to take risks, make mistakes, or do something stupid"(D. Meir, 2002). http://www.nassp.org/tabid/3788/default.aspx?topic=Trust_The_Key_to_Leading_a_Learning_School

No comments:

Post a Comment