Sunday, February 12, 2012

Wishing

I started at the beginning and read through my blog and everyone's comments today. I am happy with the quilt and the blog. I appreciate this method of teaching us about Information Inquiry. We could chose our subject and learn about it. This makes it more exciting and fun.

What did I learn?

  1. I learned how important visual props can be. Example: Most of my contact and information was either phone calls or emails. There was no hands on with my "instructor." Because of this experience, I began making videos for my online students to access from the web page.
  2. I learned that I can learn from my mistakes. I didn't think to ask about the size of the quilting machine. That was an assumption on my part.
  3. I learned to set limits for myself. It was okay to start with precut fabric pieces. The product wasn't as important as the process. But I love my quilt!
  4. I learned that Inquiry is definitely not linear, as indicated in my Concept Map. I was all over the place going back to Wondering and Webbing many times.
  5. I learned that students don't have to be robots; they can have their own ideas.
  6. I learned that there are many ways to teach a concept. We just participated in a great one!

I also reviewed what technology-based elaborations I used. They are:

  1. Concept Map - included in the blog. It indicates my Inquiry Process.
  2. Web-based Tool - OneNote was used to keep track of my notes. OneNote can be viewed through Microsoft Live or I also will put a link on the blog.
  3. Bibliography - included in OneNote. I will attach it to my paper.
  4. Electronic Communication Tool - I used email to correspond with my friend. Some of the emails are included in the blog.
  5. Productivity Tool - I used a digital camera to document the steps in the creation of the quilt. I also created a mobile blog to access my Quilting Quest blog.
  6. Notetaking Tool - Microsoft OneNote - The note book has several folders, quotes, resources, emails, Paper outline and ideas, my Wondering questions and shopping list.

My overall impression of this project is that it is a very good assignment. I was allowed to take ownership of my education. I was doing something. As John Dewey (1916) said, "The type of activities that stimulate real involvement give pupils something to do, not something to learn; and the doing is of such a nature as to demand thinking, or the intentional noting of connections; learning naturally results" (Democracy and Education, p. 181).

1 comment:

  1. #3-6 of what you have learned are great observations. I think it is so easy to fall into the trap of creating this great assignment that we think should engage all students. However, we are all so different, and though it is not always possible to tailor projects to each students, I do believe we can do a bit more to create opportunities for individual choice and learning. I have really enjoyed sharing your quilting process. Perhaps I will attempt it one day myself :)

    ReplyDelete